Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Humans: Beautifully Evolved or Intelligently Designed?

Ah the human body. There are people who believe that they were intelligently designed. I think my purse was intelligently designed, as well as a great number of shoes that I own. I tend to believe that my corporeal form is more of an evolutionary outcome. Please don't misunderstand, I am not ragging on God just because he/she/energetic entity is not winning Project Runway by the way. I even believe in God as an amazing divine force found in all of us that inspires creativity, inspiration, peace, and a bunch of other good things. But this is not about my personal religious views, it's about whether my body is evidence of intelligent design or evolution.

I do think it is marvellous how well the human body is adapted to life on two legs but there are some parts that, if designed that way from scratch, would just seem wrong. Like the knee. Who would put such an unsupported joint there? I mean the patella is just floating anchored by some very rip-prone ligaments which have the added job of making sure the floppy hinge joint underneath doesn't overextend! Or what about the appendix, or wisdom teeth. We do not need these, often don't have room for them, and many of us upright hominids have them rupture, or get abscessed, and ultimately surgically removed. Except for the fact that they ensure employment for dental surgeons and internists, why are they there? If one takes the intelligent design model to heart, why would God put something in just to have it taken out? It seems likely that at some point in our evolutionary journey to modern day us-dome, these extraneous parts may have had a purpose, and now they don't. Kind of like pneumatic tubes that are still inside old buildings, but instead of important memos, they house mice populations and cause problems for the buildings' current inhabitants (not the mice, though, who are very glad for the vacancy).

Or what about the pregnant belly. It puts a huge amount of strain on the lower back (the part that is already holding us up without the benefit of a ribcage for stability), wreaks havoc on the abdominal wall, does away with regular balance, and is obviously much less of a hassle for those beings that use all four limbs to get around. I am not saying that dogs, gorillas, and other part and full-time quadrupeds don't deal with some of the discomfort of pregnancy, it just seems like if I were allowed to crawl around instead of walk everywhere my back wouldn't hurt so much...but my knees probably would. Were I to look to architecture as a guide for where to put a pregnancy, It would seem like the top of the head is the obvious choice! After all our trunk is on top of an arch, and as long as the weight is centred, it should hold up well. We have all seen images of amazing loads being carried atop women's heads whilst body remains aligned and limber underneath, so why not design pregnancy that way?

I am not saying that I would make a more intelligent designer than God or anyone else really, and from having played The Sims I can say I am not much of an architect. I just look at all of the funny and kind of charming quirks we human bodies have and imagine that these are the result of growing up on Earth. Isn't it wonderful enough that this planet evolved life, and we have and continue to adapt to it's conditions? I think we are beautifully evolved, not intelligently designed. Some of us may end up with a few extra teeth, or a gill, but so what!

No comments:

Post a Comment