Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy birthday Nono

This is hopefully the beginning of a beautiful friendship between a pregnant lady and her computer. I am not yet sure what this blog will be about, but I figure I'll start writing and see what comes up. I only have a couple of minutes to write (as I wasted much of the precious writing "me-time" time setting this space up) before I go celebrate my grandmother's 80th birthday.
My nanny Nono is a remarkable, if cantankerous old woman. She has COPD, a shoulder that broke when she was 40 but never had set, a hip that was replaced twice, a dead husband, 3 kids, 9 grandchildren, 4 great-grandchildren, and sometimes a little too much scotch and soda. What a dame. I can thank her for imparting fabulous taste in footwear, nail colour, and sunglasses, as well as an innate sense of grace as a hostess. This gift for entertaining is one of the reasons so many people love her. In her house, whether it's a party, a meal, or any gathering, the following things will always be true: There will be lots of tiny food to eat with your fingers, there will be booze, and you will never feel like
you're the first one to make a plate or pour a drink. Also, to balance the sharp edge that we as her close family experience daily (very sharp, like split a hair sharp) there is a more subtle, playful, fun, if not quite soft side, too. Cheers to both sides of her.
Happy birthday Nono!

No comments:

Post a Comment